Skip to main content

A little Wednesday pick-me-up

You know those days. Those days, where as soon as you wake up everything that can go wrong does. You just know that the rest of the day is going to be awful too. And you know that if you were smart you would call in sick to work and just crawl back into bed for the entire day.

Well, I have found my instant pick-me-up for the days when I am just not sensible enough to stay at home and sulk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwunozm83VE

Accidentally Kelly Street- Frente
here's a door and
here's a window
here's the ceiling
here's the floor
the room is lit like
a black and white movie
the t.v.'s on, that's what it's for
and if you walk real slowly
you can feel the planet breathe
there's no need to feel so lowly
now that we've all learned to give

accidently kelly street
where friends and strangers
sometimes meet
accidently kelly street
i never thought life
could be so sweet

in the garden birds are singing
the sun is shining on the path
the wind is talking to the flowers
the dogs and cats all take a bath
and if you stop that talking
you can hear the traffic sigh
throw away those keys
start walking, watch those
tiny things go by

accidently kelly street
where friends and strangers
sometimes meet
accidently kelly street
i never thought life
could be so sweet

it's sunday everyday
and there's no need to rush around
inside of everybody there's sun
and laughter to be found
it seems that we're on holidays
and sleeping in is not a sin
all the housework's done by teatime
i'm feeling good about
the way i've been

perhaps this optimism
will crash on down
like a house of cards
i know that my decision
to change my life was not that hard

accidently kelly street
where friends and strangers
sometimes meet
accidently kelly street
i never thought life
could be so sweet

accidently kelly street
where friends and strangers
sometimes meet
accidently kelly street
i never thought life
could be so sweet

accidently...
accidently...
accidently kelly street
i never thought life
could be so sweet!


This song has been voted THE worst Australian song of all time..many many times. Joel calls it my 'sesame street' song. And yet I can't help but smile whenever I hear it.

It is the most sickly sweet, over-the-top, catchy, 'shoves happiness down your throat' song I have ever heard. How could that ever be a bad thing?

What is your instant pick-me-up when you're having a bad day?




Note: just don't ever watch the original video clip. Even I can't stomach that.

Comments

Mimi said…
watching my favorite feel-good movies is a sure way to cheer me up. :)

i hope you had a good new year! :D

<3, Mimi
http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
Anait said…
Ahahaha love it! Hope your day gets better! You know what they say, without the bad you can't appreciate the good :)

I usually reach for coffee and chocolate when I need a pick-me up....actually I reach for coffee and chocolate anytime I can. Perhaps I should work on that?
Brandi said…
Very cute song! I'm sorry to hear your day didn't get off to the right start -- at least you've got a pick me up. Mine is probably a good pet of my fat cat's belly (seeing him so content makes me smile).
IfiHadaHammer said…
Baking cookies and playing lego's with my children always makes me smile.
Alyssa said…
oh i have a secret love for that song too!! its just so happy you cannot hate it :)

i think my happy song is step by step.... or... ok high school musical songs. gosh i hate myself for admitting that - but sometimes only trashy disney movies can pull you out of a slump!!!
Kaylia Payne said…
All your pick-me-ups sound great :) Especially chocolate haha. And I know what you mean Brandi, my cat has a fat belly too but he's so happy it makes me happy.
@alyssa: yay! Finally someone that loves the song! you are the first person I have met who agrees with me :p And disney movies are the best! Especially Aladdin :)
ruthpclark said…
Ah yes, I know this feeling all too well! It's usually pretty difficult for me to find that thing that picks-me-up, though. Sometimes blasting a great song in the car on the way to work does the trick though!

So glad you found something to cheer you :) Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post: Vanisha

Hey guys, here is the last guest post and I couldn't have picked someone better (if I do say so myself). I have only known Vanisha's blog for a short time but I'm already hooked. It's funny, honest and there are always beautiful photos to drool over. PLUS she lives in Canberra and does a much better job of summing up my awesome home-town than I do. Enjoy! Hello! I'm Vanisha from Vanisha's In Life...Australia  Kaylia invited me to write a guest post whilst she's on her fabulous holiday! Being asked to write a guest post almost feels like being invited into someone's home. I'm honored. Kaylia said write about "anything" so I thought I'd write about an amazing trip I recently took.  A lot of people find it odd that of all places, we decided to got to Timor Lestse. Let me preface this decision a little. It all started in front of this fire place in the middle of winter in the Kangaroo Valley. Two acquaintances sat. Trying to get war

Guest post from Deidre of Decoybetty

Here is another guest post from a fabulous blogger; this time it's Deidre from Decoybetty. This blog is one of the funniest, most honest, most inspiring blog around (with the occasional dash of delicious recipes to boot). Check out her beautiful blog at www.decoybetty.com and you'll see why she is one of my all-time favourites. Guest post: When Kaylia asked me to write a guest post, I stared at the blank screen and the only things that came to mind is how every post that Kaylia writes, I read along going “Yes! Yes! Yes!”  This girl writes (albeit way more eloquently) what I’m thinking.  But you read her blog, you know how fabulous she is.   She recently wrote about the ‘anonymity’ of travel. I’m addicted to this feeling.  I’m an expat. I was born in America and got my first taste of Australia in the young adult book “Looking for Alibrandi” where a teenager skips school to hang out with a boy which is basically all the things I am not. I’d never skip school and I didn’t r

Guest Post: Brandi of ´Not Your Average Ordinary´

This guest post is quite exciting for me, as Brandi was actually the reason I first started my blog. She was one of my first followers and has been such an inspiration throughout this whole process. On top of that she is the sweetest person ever and such a beautiful woman inside and out. Without further ado, here she is: Ritual I was so flattered when Kaylia asked me to guest post for her. You see, she's one of my favorite sources of inspiration and honesty on the great big blogosphere. I was sipping tea, trying to decide what to write and feeling more unsure of myself than ever. It's been a bit like that lately in my world. When moments like those overwhelm me, I stop what I'm doing and brew a pot of tea. The first cup is reflection, the second poured becomes evaluation, the remaining cups devoted to action. It's one of the best things I do for myself all day, the little ritual. There’s something wonderful about daily rituals – those little times during the